The Local Historic Houses & Gardens

Historic Homes & Gardens in the Lake District

Historic house interior in the Lake District

The Lake District is fortunate to be the backdrop for numerous historic homes and gardens. Some famous people have made their homes in the Lake District and these are open to the public such as Beatrix Potters Hilltop, William Wordsworths Wordsworth House, Dove Cottage or Rydal Mount, or John Ruskins Brantwood.

There are that many places to visit including a number of properties in the Lake District owned by the National Trust all with original features that you could spend a week just trying to visit them all. Below we have outlined some of the more popular historic homes and gardens Lingmoor Guest House's central location means that you can easily explore them on your break ideal for you discovering them and making your own mind up about them:

Historic Homes & Gardens in the Lake District

Acorn Bank Garden
Acorn Bank Garden owned by the National Trust is a tranquil garden of 1 hectare situated in the Eden Valley and Penrith foothills. Home to England’s largest collection of culinary and medicinal plants.

Brockhole
Brockhole Gardens 12 hectares of garden designed in the style of Thomas Hayton Mawson, surround an Edwardian House built for the Gaddum family in 1899 by architect Dan Gibson, Beatrix Potter’s cousin Edith is reported to have lived here.. The terraces lead down to the shores of lake Windermere with views to the surrounding Lake District fells. The lower end has a lake shore walk, wildflower meadow, croquet and putting lawns. There is a picnic area and outdoor trails for children involving searching and navigation skills together with an adventure playground.

Giggle Alley Japanese Garden
Created by Lord James Hall Rea, the owner of the adjacent Gate House Mansion, which was built as a retreat in 1896. Set above a small farm from 1901 the surrounding gardens were set out by the renowned landscape garden architect Thomas Hayton Mawson to rival those at Muncaster Castle.

Graythwaite Hall Gardens
Graythwaite Hall Gardens are another of Thomas Mawson design laid out in 1889, this 2.5 hectare landscape garden surround an Elizabethan house. It’s mostly unaltered rose garden and small dutch garden, yew hedges and terraces are typical of his style.

Holehird Gardens
Holehird Gardens at the southern end of Troutbeck Valley the 4 hectares of west facing hillside gardens, were also influenced by Thomas Hayton Mawson. They are the base for the Lakeland Horticultural Society.

Rydal Hall Gardens
Rydal Hall Gardens with views down the Rothay valley were built by the le Fleming family between the 16th and 19th centuries. They owned it for nearly 400 years from 1595 to 1979 developing it from a modest farmhouse into the current mansion around 1650. The formal garden was again designed by THM.

Wray Castle Gardens
One of the most extravagant of the Lake District mansions built in 1840-7 for the wealthy Liverpool surgeon Dr James Dawson. In 1882 when Beatrix Potter was 16 her family rented the castle on their first visit to the lakes. The castle has 34 hectacres of land surrounding it, it was given to the National Trust in 1929 to preserve the beauty of the shore. The grounds are open to the public and best reached by Windermere Lake Cruises via a jetty on the lake. A walk through Claife Heights often being undertaken.

Blackwell
Blackwell is a rare example of an art’s and craft house built in 1897-1900 that is grade 1 listed, it is owned by the Lakeland Art’s Trust.

Brantwood
Brantwood was the home of John Ruskin and is filled with his drawings and watercolours. It enjoys a high position above the eastern shore of Coniston Water.

Dalemain
Dalemain mansion has a pink ashair facade and was home to the Hasell family from 1679, it is full of Georgian public rooms, tudor passages, a Victorian nursery. The gardens offer a delightful walk and there is a public footpath leading a mile down to Dacre Castle and church.

Derwent House
Derwent House was a home for workers of the "Company of Mines Royal" in the late 1560’s, in the 1840’s it was sold to an industrialist Henry Marshall and was eventually given to the National Trust in 1951.

Dove Cottage
William Wordsworth moved to Dove Cottage, known to him as Town End when it was an empty early 17th century inn. The cottage is situated on the former Grasmere to Ambleside coach road. He lived here with his sister Dorothy from 1799, marrying Mary Hutchinson in 1802 he spent the happiest time of is life here raising their 3 children and staying until the family outgrew the house, when in 1808 they moved to Allan Bank in Gasmere.

Hill Top
Hill Top is a small 17th century stone farmhouse bought by Beatrix Potter in 1905 with the royalties from her first book. She bequeathed the property to the National Trust on her death in 1943. It has been kept exactly as she left it, with her furniture and china.

Holker Hall & Gardens
Holker Hall is a Victorian sandstone red rose coloured neo-Elizabethan style house. Still home to the Cavendish Family, hence some rooms are still private. Rooms on view include the library, drawing room, dining room and a very fine carved staircase, together with pictures, furniture, sculptures , tapestries, fireplaces and ornate ceilings. The gardens are beautiful and are now open throughout the four changing seasons. In June every year Holker Hall has its annual Garden Festival and is one of the most popular garden festivals. It is also home to the Lakeland Motor Museum where there are many fine examples of early motor vehicles, it also housed The Campbell Legend Bluebird Museum, which is in the process of being moved back to Coniston.

Hutton-in-the-Forest
Hutton-in-the-Forest is a 17th-18th century house with some Victorian interiors built around a medieval pele tower and home to the Inglewood family since 1605. Outside are a walled garden of the 1730’s, topiary terraces and a Victorian woodland garden and walk. It is situated north west of Ullswater.

Isel Hall
Isel Hall Early 15th century pele tower set above a bend in the River Derwent. The windows date back to Henry V111 period. Limited numbers of guided tours are given around all the main rooms.

Leighton Hall
Leighton Hall is grey limestone home of the renowned Gillow furniture making family. View the Gothic hall, principal bedroom, drawing room and library.

Levens Hall & Topiary Gardens
An Elizabethan grey stone mansion built by the Bellingham family around a defensive pele tower of c1350 it contains some interesting Jacobean furniture. The main attraction at Levens Hall, however are the world famous formal topiary gardens.

Mirehouse
Home to the Spedding family line since 1688 in a house built by the Earl of Derby in 1666 facing Bassenthwaite Lake beneath Dodd and Skiddaw.

Muncaster Castle
Set against a backdrop of Lakeland mountains and fells dating in parts from 13th and early 14th century and reconstructed in 1862 by the 4th Lord Muncaster the rooms on show have been in the same family for over 7 centuries.

Rydal Mount
Rydal Mount was William Wordsworth last home where he lived for some 37 years. The property has become a place of pilgrimage even in his lifetime, with his poetry becoming more popular from around 1815-20 onwards. This former yeoman’s cottage was originally built in the 16th century and enlarged into a house in the 1750’s. It has stunning views over Rydal Water and the surrounding Lake District fells.

Sizergh Castle
Sizergh Castle and Gardens is a fortified mansion owned by the National Trust it contains many worthy Elizabethan woodwork.

Swarthmoor Hall
Swarthmoor Hall in Ulverston is an Elizabethan manor house built in 1586 and was home to Judge Thomas Fell and his family.

Townend
Largely 17th century whitewashed house with slate roof and mullioned windows built in 1626 by George Browne a wealthy yeoman farmer. It now belongs to the National Trust.

Wordsworth House
Wordsworth House in Cockermouth was the birth place of William Wordsworth, built in 1745 this Georgian town house saw the romantic poet born on 7th April 1770 and his sister Dorothy on 25th December 1771. Acquired by the National Trust from public subscription the property is furnished in 18th century style.